Saturday, September 26, 2009

Music and me

No one is aware of the fact that I have always secretly thought of myself as a musical genius. I know this but conceal it from the world. Instead this little genius is forced to live inside me and stay silenced along with the beautiful thin woman who is hidden behind my chubby persona. I hope the two of them are friends. In my own mind I have already accumulated all kinds of awards over the years. I am currently in possession of at least ten Grammys, four Tonys and two Oscars for best original music score. I imagine rejecting phone calls from Paul McCartney eager to purchase the rights to my music catalogue to get back at Michael Jackson for purchasing the rights to his. The sad part is that I have the sinking feeling that all these awards were stolen from me by Britney Spears, who broke into my apartment while I was asleep, took my Grammys and is currently holding them hostage somewhere in her ten million dollar mansion. I am letting her enjoy them for now mainly because there’s nothing I can do about it.

In reality it is too late to finally break onto the scene at the tender age of twenty eight. It’s difficult to imagine my little genius jumping on stage, taking my body with him and regurgitating the materials he’s been safeguarding since birth.

All this time instead of sharing my gift I masked it under an array of strange professions. I don’t really know where my great talent comes from since both of my parents are computer programmers. Ok that’s not entirely true. In actuality my mother and father are almost as talented as I am but also chose to cover this up  under the pretense of being programmers. It runs in the family. In fact my brother does it so well that no one is 100% sure that his talent exists but who cares because he is now a stock trader. Apparently being musically gifted is on the same level as being a spy. No one can know the truth. Either that or it’s some sort of embarrassment for our clan. When my parents met they probably said: “So you got it?" "Me too. It’s ok we’ll learn to live with it”. Now everyone assumes that we all got it and we keep it on the down low. It’s a genetic predisposition which is there but can never be allowed to fully flourish.

I wonder how many generations this is going to affect. Will my descendant finally have the courage to stand up and declare “I’m sick of living a lie” and sing an aria at a very important business meeting? I hope so. Currently there are no plans to form the family band and tour around the globe.

No comments: