Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Circle of life

I don’t get it when people refer to the road of life as coming full circle. If they mean being born with not enough mental capacity to remember your daily activities or retain any information except what’s in your own diaper and leaving the world the same way then I agree. Otherwise I don’t see how a beautiful healthy baby turning into a wrinkled mess can equal 360º. It’s pretty much a straight highway which eventually turns into a cliff. Everybody has to jump to make room for the line forming behind them. I realize that thinking of life as a slow death march is kind of sad to some people so they prefer to brighten up the whole experience by making up euphemisms, drowning in wine, and positive thinking. All those things are used as anesthetics to dull the pain of what lies ahead.
When I was young I always stared at old folks as if they got some disease that I hoped never to catch. I feared it, and secretly prayed that it will bypass me of all people. Now I know that it’s inevitable. I managed to turn from a child into a teenager, and then into an adult so there’s no reason to believe that the wheel stops here. It’s just like watching the Wheel of Fortune and screaming for it to stop spinning but knowing it will land on Bankruptcy every time.
On the other hand, old age doesn’t last forever and the afterlife may be filled with fun and games so cheer up everybody. No need to be saddened by the above-written.

No comments: