Thursday, November 19, 2009

Football

Football is my least favorite sport after baseball. While there is not enough action in baseball, there is an overload of it in football. Too bad that none of it makes sense to me. Every year around super bowl time I memorize the rules, only to forget them the second I lose the betting pool we got going at work. This sport is just not up my alley no matter how hard I try and push it. The scoring is too confusing for me, the costumes are atrocious and the overall feeling I get from watching the game can be surmised as restlessness. Who can blame me? I try my best to get into it because it seems like there is so much activity and excitement on the field that it has to be interesting. Sadly my eyes are unable to capture it all. There are way too many people running in different directions, among whom you’re supposed to find the guy holding the ball (which is by no means shaped like a ball) and keep your eyes on him (not to be distracted by all the other runners) until he is brutally pulled down onto the ground, beaten, and a heap of all the other participants (who gathered together in a matter of seconds) forms on top of him. The call is made, everyone gets up and everything repeats all over again. I may as well have pressed rewind and watched the previous play over and over again. Maybe I’m missing something. I desperately wish I understood what it all meant but I don’t.

I do think that football players overexert themselves. If I put all that gear on myself and was still able to stand up straight, I’d definitely wobble around as if intoxicated and eventually topple over. How they manage to run and think while protecting a little ball as if it was a newborn child is beyond me.

I just realized that I don’t have nearly as much to say about football as I did about baseball and it’s strange. How can I possibly have more to say about a sport which can put an insomniac to sleep than about one that resembles a Steven Segal flick? I will ponder this for a bit and then move on to basketball.

No comments: