Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Qualities writers should possess

Sticking to extremes
Every writer’s material should be as saccharine as possible or intensely dark and gloomy. Anything in between is just blah. I prefer the dark/cynical style myself because the former makes me gag. The writing style should reflect the writers themselves. They either should be people friendly or loners who sit in their rooms with the shades drawn thinking of all the possible ways everything can go wrong. Guess which one I am?

Open-mindedness
I used to pride myself on this particular trait until a friend of mine accused me of being the complete opposite for reasons unknown to me. Basically I was labeled conservative, critical, and closed-minded. I had no idea! So I decided to adhere to my newfound image. Luckily, this does not stop me from writing.

Creativity
Creativity and inspiration is not one and the same thing. Some people can pull material out of the same hat where rabbits hang out while others suffer from constipation of the mind-you feel that something is definitely lodged up there but it refuses to come out.

A good brain thesaurus
This is self-explanatory. Either you carry the SAT words in your head or buy a heavy book- your choice.

Tolerance for criticism
I definitely lack in this department because all I want to hear is praise. What the heck is constructive criticism anyway? This is euphemism at its best. A very business-savvy person who knew better than to straight-out belittle his employees invented this terminology. He listed all their faults and right before they pounced he screamed the magic word-constructive! He also could’ve said “no offense”. Thankfully he didn’t slip and say destructive thereby sealing his doom.

That's it ladies and gentlemen, the suggestion box is empty.

No comments: